As one of the fastest-growing career fields in the nation, energy efficiency offers a variety of opportunities for individuals launching their careers. California boasts nearly 14 percent of the nation’s energy efficiency jobs, with nearly 325,000 individuals employed in the field during 2019, and additional jobs added every year.
Laws and building codes promoting energy efficiency throughout California means this industry will only keep growing, with an increasing need for skilled workers to fill positions. Jobs in the energy efficiency industry include new construction, energy retrofits to existing buildings and homes, HVAC and lighting installations, and more.
Green Path Careers is a program designed to help individuals who are opportunity youth, ages 18 and up, by preparing them for a career in the energy efficiency field. The program is administered through the Southern California Regional Energy Network (SoCalREN) and its partners. Green Path Careers is offered at no cost to participating youth.
- Guidance and support during enrollment and throughout participation.
- Personal Enrichment Training to help participants gain valuable life skills, including goal setting and managing personal finances.
- Technical training and education to prepare students to complete certification with the Building Performance Institute (BPI), a respected organization that sets the standard for professionals in the energy efficiency industry.
- Paid Work Experience with local companies working in energy efficiency.
Upon completion of the program, the Green Path Careers team will help participants develop a professional resume, prepare for interviews, and provide other support as needed during the job application process.
Participation Eligibility Requirements
- Be opportunity youth, ages 18 and up.
- Have a valid Social Security Number.
- Commit to completing the program.
View the Program Overview Flyer
View the Participant Overview Flyer
- Complete a Program Interest Form
- Attend a Green Path Careers Informational Session
- Participate in an Orientation Meeting
- Complete WDACS Enrollment Process
Interested in the GPC Program but have questions? The FAQs for Potential Employers below can help answer your questions. Please contact us if you have additional questions or need more information.
Green Path Careers is offered through the Southern California Regional Energy Network (SoCalREN), led by the Los Angeles County Office of Energy and Environment and in partnership with a group of local government and community organizations dedicated to building and supporting the next generation of Southern California’s energy efficiency workforce.
Energy Efficiency Industry Reference Data: 2019 U.S. Energy and Employment Report, National Association of State Energy Officials.